8 February 2011

The Gastric Sleeve Op

So today is the day where i finally have my gastric sleeve.  I was told id be the last one in there - i wasnt too pleased about this.  I wanted to be done and dusted!  (in hignsight, i realise it was a bonus going last - spent the day watching misfits and went into surgery about 3.30pm.)

So one by one the other two girls disappeared and i was left alone in my room.  Half panicking about the op and half enjoying the quiet to myself.

Finally i got the call...i was wheeled around th hospital, the treditional image of ceiling lights flickering by, was making me gulp.

Met my anesthatist in the surgery room, and she said she was going to inject me something via my candular...i woke up in the ICU.  Firstly i was laid on my back - i never sleep on my back as i have a slightly bent spine so it makes it really uncomfortable.  So immediately i was uncomfortable.  It felt as though id had a pack of Rhinos run across my stomach - i thought oh my god, im going to be stuck with this pain forever!!  i tried opening my eyes but everything was fuzzy..i thought i hadnt shaked off the anesthetic.  I was disorientated but it took me about 40 minutes to realise my eyes had actually been covered in something like vaseline!  So i wiped away the vaseline and voila, i could see.

Before i had gone through to the op, the lady had told us that ICU is a weird place.  Every minute seems to last an hour.  And it was true...i couldnt sleep longer than 5 minutes and seconds felt like minutes, and minutes felt like hours.  It was a very strange experience, it kind of felt unwordly.  I remember being very hot and kept asking the nurses to open the windows.  I was made to walk around, i had two drains and a catheter - id never had one of those before.  Very strange sensation is a catheter, dont want one of those again to soon...

Finally, we were allowed out of the ICU room and into our own rooms!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry that you had to wait, but one of us had to go first and they saved the best for last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hiya, where did you go for it and how much did you pay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for writing this. You are doing a great and good service for all who read this . Be proud of the love for him that you express.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog, thanks for sharing the information. I will come to look for update. Keep up the good work...
    Gastric sleeve surgery Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Remember after read your article
    Today, after one year of the laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery that I had at hospital in mexico, I can proudly say that it was the best decision of my life. My BMI has dropped to 23 and now, I can easily stand, sit and exercise. Thanks a lot.

    laparoscopic gastric sleeve
    gastric bypass

    ReplyDelete