16 February 2011

Ketosis

After speaking to Michael yesterday, he asked if i had been feeling light headed or a bit 'odd'.  He had asked me this because this is about the time when your body goes into ketosis.

Now, i had never heard of ketosis until it was mentioned to me last night.  So after doing some research, this is what i have found out:

Ketosis describes the act of your body using up fat reserves for energy - simples right?

Carbohydrates are usually broken down into glucose, which is then converted into energy and transported to muscles and organs etc.

When there is a lack of glucose (ie post weight loss surgery), your body starts to break down stored fat in order to convert it into energy.  This is known as fat metabolism.

Fat metabolism, causes a build up of ketones in the blood, which results in ketosis.

Ketones are actually poisonous, and if left to build up, can increase the acidity in your blood, which can affect your kidneys and liver. 

Symptons
  • Tiredness or fatigue
  • Headache
  • Feeling thirsty all the time
  • Bad breath
  • Metallic taste in the mouth
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or stomach ache
  • Sleep problems
  • Cold hands and feet
So in the next few weeks my body will be in a state of ketosis, which means that weight should come off nice and steady. My weigh in days are saturdays so will weight and see how this week goes.  Only lost 4 lbs last week whilst away!!  And i didnt eat for 3 of those days (i have been reminded that with lots of fluids being given to me during my stay, its not unsual for people to not loose a lot or even put a pound or 2 on).  Roll on saturday! x

4 comments:

  1. I did say that I thought we would go into ketosis. Do you have that horrible taste in your mouth yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes but i didnt know what that meant! and by the time i came home id forgotten all about it, so ive now done some research and im ready to face ketosis face on =)

    I dont have a weird taste but i do have weird feeling teeth lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. My teeth have been feeling weird as well. Almost like they are coated in something. And the other day I nearly fainted every time that I stood up. Not nice. Hope your doing okay though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww =( That sucks, hope the diziness has passed. Yea i seem to be ok (touch wood) Just bad teeth and bad breath today!! x

    ReplyDelete